Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

How to Fix Large Cracks in Walls


Large cracks in walls are not something you want to see in your house. They can cause major problems if you don’t fix them correctly. There are some steps you can take to repair them, and it may not require a lot of work.

Filling the crevice with filler compound

If you’re planning to repair large cracks in your walls, consider using a drywall compound. This will help you avoid further damage. It’s also a good idea to get rid of the dirt and dust from the crack.

Firstly, measure the area of the crack. If it’s a large one, you might want to consider enlisting the help of a professional. Otherwise, there are some things you can do yourself.

Depending on the crack’s depth, you can choose from a number of options. You can either use a hammer to tap out the old filler or buy a pre-mixed joint compound. The latter is usually easier to do because it’s already been mixed.

Next, you’ll need to clean up the area around the crack. This will help the new filler adhere better. Alternatively, you can use a paint scraper or utility knife to remove any debris.

Once you have the crack clean and dry, you can begin the actual repair process. You can also sand the area to help the material adhere better.

Filling the crack with joint compound

If you have a large crack in your wall, you can fill it with a joint compound. This is a mixture of clay, starch and perlite that is used to repair holes in walls. Before applying the joint compound, it is advisable to remove any loose particles of material.

For a smooth finish, you should sand the surface. If the compound has bubbles, use a sanding block or hair dryer to blow them out. After the crack has been filled, you can paint it.

You can purchase pre-mixed joint compounds at any hardware store. You can also apply a shellac-based primer-sealer to the surface. This can be done by hand or using a spray can. It is important to dry the area for at least 30 minutes before beginning.

If the crack is too deep to be filled with a joint compound, you can use a quick-setting compound. The type you choose will depend on the depth of the crack.

Taping the joint compound

If you have large cracks in your walls, it is important to address them before you begin painting. You can use a joint compound instead of a spackle to fix them. However, you should keep in mind that joints can reappear if you leave them untreated.

There are many different types of joint compounds to choose from. Some are quick-drying, which makes them ideal for fixing holes and cracks. Others are slower-drying, such as all-purpose compounds. Depending on the type of joint compound you buy, you may need several coats to get an even surface.

Once you have selected the type of joint compound you want to use, you can mix it with water in a mud pan. Then, you can pour the mixture onto a sanding block and scrape it out. Then, you can sand the area with fine-grit sandpaper to remove any dust or ridges.

After sanding, you can apply a second coat of joint compound. Start at the top of the crack and work your way down. Be careful not to cover too much of the wall with the joint compound.

Structural cracks

Structural cracks in walls are a common problem in older homes. They are also common in new homes, and they can indicate the structural integrity of your home is compromised. However, they can be easily repaired.

Whether your home has concrete, drywall, or plaster walls, these cracks can be fixed. In fact, it is possible to fix minor cracks without expensive tools. But major cracks should be inspected by a professional.

If you suspect structural damage to your walls, you should seek the advice of a structural engineer. They can investigate the cause and recommend a repair. They may even be able to help you sell your home.

Another way to fix structural cracks in walls is to re-tape the joints. Patching tape, also called mesh tape, can help make wide wall cracks more stable.

If the crack is wide enough, you can try removing it with a razor knife. Be careful not to remove the compound beyond the crack.